Sunday 3 December 2017

November 2017 Wrap-Up

So November was a pretty good reading month! It was a much better book buying month (thanks cyber Monday deals!) So let's recap what I read this month:

Books I Read
No. of Books Read: 13

1. Victoria by Daisy Goodman - 3/5 Stars
This book was the definition of a 3 star read - it was fine, not memorable, but not terrible. Just fine. It was basically the first two episodes of the Victoria TV series. The writing was perfectly fine, but I did dislike some of the characterizations (particularly of Victoria and Albert - boy they did not come off great). In fact I found myself liking Lord Melbourne more than Albert which I really don't think I was supposed to. Still, it was a quick read - a fine historical retelling. Nothing groundbreaking and nothing to make it stand out.

2. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie - 3.5/5 Stars
I wanted this to be a 5 star read but to be honest I found it... implausible? For my first Agatha Christie novel I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. Christie's writing is nothing special, but I did like the way she divided up the novel into "fact" "evidence" etc. It was a unique thing I had never come across in a mystery novel before. I did like Poirot, but I found that the secondary cast of characters mostly blended together for me. I did like the story and found it interesting - by the half way mark I was on the edge of my seat as to how he was going to solve the murder. And then... the ending. Wow, that was... a bit ridiculous? I know it's supposed to be so shocking but I really just found it too much. I don't know. Maybe I'm not good with mystery novels in general (I rarely like them) but I was hoping I would love Agatha Christie and have a whole new reason to buy all her works. I'll try again maybe someday. I did like this book (I'm making it sound like I didn't) but I really didn't find the writing special and I hated the ending.

3. The Chess Queen Enigma by Colleen Gleason - 3.5/5 stars
This is the third instalment in this series that  I've read in the past 2 months - they are quick and easy reads and I am clearly enjoying them enough to continue. However, I am so annoyed because the series is still not 5 stars for me! I'm so disappointed because I keep wanting to love this series more than I do. I really love Evaline and Pix - I am eager for their chapters and their time together and I could honestly just deal with the Evaline and Pix show for the following books. I like them SO MUCH MORE than Mina (an unpopular opinion with fans of this series apparently). However in good news Mina's story is hopefully going to improve because the most annoying part of this series has FINALLY departed (goodbye Dylan - good riddance) and I hope we can have more Mina and Inspector Grayling interactions in the future because they are great together. The plot in this one (like the others) wasn't great- I found it predictable and saw the plot twist coming. But I really liked the way relationships are developing and I only wish Evaline and Mina were better friends. I want them to be besties already and the author is really dragging it out for a series that's only 5 books. I really want to Love this series, and I can see it's getting better so I will be continuing the series (whenever they go on sale on Kindle again I will pick up the next one).

4. The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo - 4/5 Stars
Leigh Bardugo continues to be a Queen of YA. I was not expecting to like this as much as I did - but I really loved most of these stories. They really did read like fairytales - and I was so impressed with the way she made the stories all differ in the narration slightly to reflect the countries in her Grishaverse universe that they were from. It is details like that, that set her writing so far apart from other YA writers. I absolutely ADORED the last two stories The Soldier Prince and When Water Sang Fire), they were retellings of The Nutcracker and The Little Mermaid and they were so magical and gorgeously written - the prose was perhaps my favourite part of this whole book.I also loved how Bardugo managed to keep the tales recognizable while also still putting a unique spin on each story, like in When Water Sang Fire there was such a twist at the end that it really went in a direction I wasn't expecting. I did find that some of the stories dragged on a bit (particularly the Ravka tales - which was so disappointing because Russian-inspired folklore I expected to be so much better) - and this is the only reason why this is not five stars. The book itself was BEAUTIFUL - the hardcover I had is to die for, and the illustrations in the book are so breathtaking - they really add to the feel of the tales you are reading. It really did feel like a new fairy tale book for the ages. My only other negative comment is that I did also find myself wishing she had simply given us another Six of Crows story so that I could get some closure on my girl Nina Zenik - but besides this I really loved the fairytales she has written and highly recommend this for Grishaverse fans.

5. Vassa in the Night by Sara Porter - 4/5 Stars
This is legit the strangest book I've read in a while. It was very weird, genuinely very weird. I was a bit confused for large parts of the story (hence why it isn't 5 stars). I was confused enough that I did have to look up the fairytale the book is based on to get some context for what was happening in the novel (the fairytale is Vassalissa the Beautiful). This was such a cover buy (the cover is beautiful and buttery in person and I had to have it) - but I found the writing was beautiful as well. Porter found a nice balance between real writing and flowery writing - so that it read like a modern day fairytale. I also loved the setting in the "magical realm of Brooklyn" - it was so excellent to make it a modern day fairytale with these fantastical elements without any explanation. I really enjoyed it - it made it very whimsical. The book was also surprisingly gory, like a real fairytale, which I appreciated and didn't shy away from dealing with issues like childhood abandonment and loss. I really liked the book overall - it definitely isn't for everyone because, I will repeat, it is one of the strangest books I've ever read.  But I loved the writing, the main character Vassa, and the story overall -  despite some slight confusion over the plot (that I attribute to weirdness rather than vagueness), I still think its an enjoyable read that is genuinely different from anything I have ever read.

6. Winterspell by Clare Legrand - 3/5 Stars
God I hate three star books almost more than 1 or 2 star books - you know? I really wanted to like this book more than I did. It is posited as a Nutcracker retelling - which I LOVE because I love Christmas and go to the Nutcracker Ballet every year, and watch anything even remotely related to the story. i love the nutcracker. so I went in with SUPER HIGH expectations - and picked this up mid-November when I finally decided to get myself in a Christmas-y mood. I really enjoyed the beginning, it definitely hooked me in,  but I would say this is a very loose retelling of the Nutcracker and you would have to really know the story to appreciate the little nods to the original that are scattered in. I've read some reviews that are concerned with the "sexualization" of Clara, but I found this didn't bother me as much - I simply read Clara as a girl beginning to explore her sexuality. I did have some weirdness over Clara being attracted to a statue though (the statue is the stand-in in Winterspell for the Nutcracker in the original) - I think the author could have tried to make it read less... creepy? or Voyeuristic. I was fine with the story though - even the insta-love right up until halfway through the book when the big surprise plot twist happened. I absolutely DESPISED the twist, and it really turned me off the romance for the rest of the novel. I found it to be unbelievable that Clara would go back to the main Love interest after what happens. I think the best part of the story was honestly the villain - Anise-- I really enjoyed her and her interactions with Clara. She had depth, and wasn't a caricature. Honestly,  I really wish we had gotten more time between her and Clara because I ship them over Clara and the main love interest Nicholas (our Nutcracker). Overall, I did like this book, and found it to be a unique retelling but I found the world-building weak, the nutcracker connection tenuous at times and the main interest and plot twist in the middle really turned me off the rest of the story.

7. Maid Marian by Elsa Watson - 1/5 Stars
My god, why are there NO good Robin Hood retellings. Every one I read is absolutely awful and this was no exception.This book has been on my wish list for YEARS and I really wanted to like it. But nope - this book was just simply DULL. There was nothing new or original about it - it was a straight up Robin Hood story that could have been ripped from the original ballads. The plot was dull (NOTHING HAPPENED) and there was no imagination in this retelling. The characters were so dull - Marian in particular was such a wet blanket and I hated her for it. I want a strong Marian retelling (like Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen but without the annoying first person narrative and cockney accent). The love story fell flat for such iconic characters. it was just bad. It wasn't like there was anything objectionable about the story - it was just dull and unoriginal on all counts and it made me so mad to waste my time reading something SO BORING. Seriously, I was so mad when I finished reading I was like ONE STAR FOREVER.

8. The Pearl Thief by Elizabeth Wein (Audiobook narrated by Maggie Service)  4/5 Stars
I know, I read this before Code Name Verity - sue me. I was actually having a hard time getting into Code Name Verity and this book came out on sale on Audible so I decided to give it a try. I much preferred the audiobook version of the stories and hopefully will give Code Name Verity another try, this time as an audiobook. This is not a fast-moving story but I really enjoyed it - it really allowed you to sink into the atmosphere. Julia is an amazing character - she's very relatable and fun. I also loved the historical setting. Most of the characters and details were accurate - the details were tiny but Elizabeth Wein clearly puts so much thought into every single thing she writes in her novels, making sure everything is as accurate as it can be.  I also really adored the character of Ewan  (Sp?? - I listened to it on audiobook and so I have no idea of the spelling), he is a precious baby and I love him. And Pinky! I loved the diversity of the characters, and the exploration of the travellers - from my trip to Ireland a few years ago I had heard of travellers and I noticed the disdain people spoke of them with, so it was nice to see a positive representation.  The narrator did a fair job of telling the story, and her voice was a lovely Scots accent which I'm always a sucker for. My only complaint was really about Ellen - I really didn't enjoy her character, nor her friendship with Julie. I found her to be a bit of a downer most of them time to be honest, and didn't buy her friendship with Julie that way I think the author wanted us too. I also saw the "villain" right away and wasn't surprised with the twist at the end - in fact I was simply waiting for it to happen! Besides those minor complaints though I really enjoyed listening to this book - and I will definitely be picking up Elizabeth Wein's other works on audioobok - starting with Code Name Verity next!

9. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Illustrated Edition - 5/5 Stars (obviously) by J.K. Rowling, and Illustrated by Olivia Lomenech Gill
Honestly is this even surprising? This was beautifully done - once again, giving you a peek into the amazing world J.K. Rowling has created but this time with illustrations of all the creatures. I ADORED IT. I loved the dragon illustrations in particular (who wouldn't?). This was such a fun re-read one night, while I pored over the drawings. So much fun to do anything Potter-related. Seriously, J.K. Rowling can release anything and I am just like - shut up and take my money.

10. Siren's Song by Mary Weber - 3/5 Stars
Ugh, I am so disappointed this series is ending on three stars. I absolutely ADORED the first book in the series - Storm Siren - I have read it multiple times and it was one of my favourite new series a few years ago. The second book I found a bit of a letdown and only gave it 4/5 stars so I was really hoping the third would be an amazing improvement. But alas, maybe I outgrew this series since it took me so long to finish - but I found that the magic spark that made the first book so amazing was really not in this one. The third book was all about the final battle - and to be honest I'm not a final battle girl. i find final battles usually boring and underwhelming. Hell, even in LOTR movies I prefer Helms Deep to the battle for Minas Tirith.  The fact this book was ALL about the final battle made it very hard for me to get into and enjoy - and really took away from exploring the characters and their relationships. so much of the magic of the relationships was gone I found, and the secondary characters were practically non-existent. I still really like this series, and highly recommend the first book, but I expected a lot more so its only a three star for me.

11. Doomed Queens by Kris Waldherr - 2/5 Stars
This was fine - it was a book chronicling women taken down by history. It was such a great concept - but I found the author tried to make it a little to "kitschy" for me - with "advice" at the end of each section reading as a bit tasteless. Oh, and having quizzes about whether you are a "Doomed Queen" also seemed.. iffy. I would've liked this more when I was a little girl learning history than an adult. I learned about some new rulers - I found the diversity of women nice, and less Western-leaning then previous books about famous women I've read. But yeah, it definitely falls into "fun history" 

12. Roar by Cora Carmack - 2/5 Stars
I really wanted to like this. Reminded me of the kind of books i liked 10 yrs ago when I was 15. Very trope - so much insta-love and a definite future love triangle. Also the "special" girl who thought she was ordinary and becomes powerful and gets her kingdom stolen after running away and has to deal with that. It was just so unoriginal and like a thousand other YA fantasy books I'd read before. it was good enough I finished and didn't DNF it but I liked the idea of the storm magic much better than was shown. Roar (or Aurora) was equally annoying as a heroine. And Locke and all the other men were big strong protective characters I am so sick of reading. So yeah, read it if you like a YA book that is exactly like most others out there.

13. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller (Audiobook narrated by Marisa Calin) - 4/5 Stars
I went into this expecting a pretty typical YA book, but I was pleasantly surprised! Yes there are some trope-y elements (you know the love interest right away, the heroine has some too-stupid-to-live moments, and she's annoyingly "sassy" at times) but overall I really found this a fun book! I liked Alosa (most of the time) finding her to be the right amount of sassy, girly and fun. I liked the romance even, and found it believable and not too insta-lovey (despite knowing he'd be the love interest right off the bat). I even appreciated the fact that none of the characters shied away from being blood thirsty pirates - AS THEY SHOULD BE. There was torture, and throat slitting, and stabbing and MURDER - just what a pirate novel should be. I didn't mind the fantasy element that popped up about halfway through the novel - but I am interested (and worried) how it will be incorporated in the next instalment in the series. I listened to this on audiobook and found the narrator enjoyable and fun! Definitely a fun surprise, proving to me that not all YA is terrible.

Books I Started but DNF'd
A Beautiful Poison by Lydia Kang - DNF'd
I bought this because it was a 1920s magic tale and I immediately was like OMG this sounds like  The Diviners by Libba Bray (which I'm obsessed with). I was WRONG. This is nothing like the magical Diviners world of 1920s New York. I couldn't even get past 5 chapters. What the heck was this even about? The writing was bad, but the plot was so convoluted and confusing that even if the writing were GOOD it would still be a bad book. I hate DNF-ing books (don't we all?) but I simply couldn't be bothered to waste my time reading something I knew wasn't going to get better.

Books I Bought
No. Of Books Bought: 64
Okay so again, Kindle and Audible and the bookstores had a lot of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals which accounts for the INSANE number of books I got this month. Like damn - I purchased a year's worth of reading.
  1.  The Lady Traveller's Guide to Scoundrels and Other Gentlemen by Victoria Alexander (Kindle Edition)
  2.  My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand and Jodi Meadows (Audiobook narrated by Katherine Kellgren) - own it and read it already, but it was on sale for Audible and I had to buy it because I'm sure the audiobook is just as enjoyable listening as the book was to read. 
  3. Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo (Hardcover)
  4. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgsen Burnett (Audiobook, narrated by Josephine Bailey)
  5. Dividing Eden by Joelle Charbonneau (Kindle Edition)
  6. Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima (Audiobook, narrated by Kim Mai Guest) - read and loved The Demon King quartet this year, and I was so excited to see this on sale on Audible so that I can continue it. I will probably also buy this in paperback so I can have a physical copy for my shelves. 
  7. Shadowcaster by Cinda Williams Chima (Kindle Edition) - going to try out all the new Cinda Williams Chima books this year apparently! 
  8.  The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco (Kindle Edition)
  9. Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (Kindle Edition)
  10. Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst (Kindle Edition) - Lesbian princesses... PLEASE BE GOOD. 
  11.  Belle by Cameron Dokey (Kindle Edition) - I already own this in paperback but I couldn't turn down having a copy on my kindle for 1.99
  12.  The Reluctant Queen by Sarah Beth Durst (Hardcover) - Book #2 in the Queens of Renthia series. Loved the first one, excited to read the second - more people need to know about this series!
  13.  Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols (Kindle Edition)
  14.  Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King by Antonia Fraser (Kindle Edition) - anything Antonia Fraser is an instant buy for me. I pretty much own her entire written works.
  15. Caraval by Stephanie Garber (Audiobook narrated by Rebecca Soler) - heard some mixed reviews, but thought I would give it a try
  16. Career Evil by Robert Gilbraith (Audiobook narrated by Robert Gleinster) - I own the first two books in this series, and have read and enjoyed the first one. I plan to continue the seires, and hopefully will get to this one in the new year! Once again, J.K. Rowling - please take all my money. 
  17. The Chess Queen Enigma by Colleen Gleason (Kindle Edition) - #3 in the Stoker & Holmes series
  18. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Haran (Kindle Edition) - if Obama had it on his reading list its good enough for me
  19. Sisters in law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World by Linda Hirschman - I mean I am a lawyer, this seems like required reading for bad ass female lawyers everywhere
  20. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (Audiobook, narrated by Elizabeth Knowelden) - own it and read it already, but it was on sale for Audible and I had to buy. Excellent book - can't wait to read it in a new format!
  21. The Fifth Season by N.K Jemison (Kindle Edition)
  22. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson Book #1) by Darynda Jones (Kindle Edition) - I really like this series, but only had a paperback of the first book which I unhauled. Now I have the Kindle Edition yay!
  23.  A Beautiful Poison by Lydia Kang (Kindle Edition) - well this was a waste of my money... see above review.
  24. Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard by Vanessa Kelley - because sometimes you just need some trashy harlequin romance. 
  25. Hunter by Mercedes Lackey (Kindle Edition) - guys it has DRAGONS and Mercedes Lackey, it has to be good. PLEASE BE GOOD
  26. The Curiosity Keeper by Sarah E. Ladd (Kindle Edition) 
  27.  The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah E. Ladd (Kindle Edition)
  28.  A Lady a Willowgrove Hall by Sara E. Ladd (Kindle Edition)
  29.  Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson (Hardcover) - I loved his literary history of the Chicago World's Fair, and I saw this on sale at Indigo for $10 (in hardcover!) so I had to pick it up. 
  30.  Dark Breaks Dawn by Sara B. Larson (Kindle Edition) - a Swan lake retelling? YES PLEASE!
  31. Song of Albion Series (Books #1-3) Stephen R. Lawhead (Kindle Edition)
  32. Red Sister by Mark Lawrence (Audiobook)
  33. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller (Audiobook, narrated by Marisa Calin) - loved it and look forward to continuing the series!
  34.  I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (Audiobook, narrated by Robertson Dean)
  35. Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire (Kindle Edition)
  36. Heartless by Marissa Meyer (Kindle Edition) - own it in UK paperback, but I wanted the Kindle Edition because I liked it but didn't love it enough to keep my paperback copy (even though it's SO PRETTY
  37.  Lovely Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara (Kindle Edition)
  38.  Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (Audiobook, narrated by Rachel McAdams) - yes I own it in hardcover already, but Rachel McAdams, a Canadian national treasure, reading one of our national treasures? I had to have it. It was FREE on Audible - AND FREE IS ALWAYS GOOD
  39.  A Great and Terrible King by Marc Morris (Kindle Edition)
  40. First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (Kindle Edition)
  41. The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (Kindle Edition)
  42. Tricksters Choice by Tamora Pierce (Kindle Edition)
  43. Cooked by Michael Polan (Kindle Edition) - watched the documentary of this on Netflix and loved it, so thought I would give it a quick read
  44.  Loving a Lost Lord by M.J. Putney (Kindle Edition) - More harlequin romance. I'm getting ready for reading all of it in February and during the cold winter months. 
  45. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession and How Desire Shaped the World by Aja Raden (Kindle Edition)
  46. The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra by Helen Rappaport (Kindle Edition)
  47.  Carve the Mark  by Veronica Roth (Kindle Edition) - heard so many mixed reviews, but it was on sale so I picked it up
  48. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Illustrated Edition by J.K Rowling, Illustrated by Olivia Lomenech Gill (Hardcover) - It was on sale, it's Harry Potter, I had to buy it.
  49. War Brides by Helen Ryan (Kindle Edition)
  50. Cosmos by Carl Sagan (Audiobook, narrated by Levar Burton, Seth McFarlane, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Ann Druyan) - loved the TV series, and love Neil DeGrasse Tyson so I'm hoping this is amazing. 
  51. Scythe by Neil Shusterman (Kindle Edition)
  52. Hunted by Megan Spooner (Kindle Edition) - I've been hearing amazing things about this book as a Beauty and the Beast retelling so I'm praying it is as good as all the reviews. I'm really hoping it's like Heartless by Robin McKinley (the best Beauty and the Beast retelling ever - don't argue)
  53. Spymistress by William Stevenson (Kindle Edition)
  54. The Immortal Life of Henriette Lacks by Rebecca Stoler (Kindle Edition) 
  55.  Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (Audiobook, narrated by Stephen West)
  56. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Audiobook, narrated by  Rob Inglis) - I have a confession: I have never made it through The Hobbit. I totally lied and said I read it but I haven't. I'm ashamed. I'm going to give it another try in a different format though and see if maybe this time it works!
  57. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Kindle Edition) - NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON IS MY FAVOURITE.
  58.  Doomed Queens By Kris Waldherr (Kindle Edition)
  59. Maid Marian by Elsa Watson (Kindle Edition)
  60. The Black Prism by Brent Weeks (Paperback and Kindle Edition) - this series better be as good as everyone says because I am super committed to reading it. I even bought the Kindle version so I can read it on the commute and not lug around the GIANT paperback.
  61. The Pearl Thief by Elizabeth Wein (Audiobook, narrated by Maggie Service)
  62. Queen Isabella by Alison Weir (Kindle Edition) - my desire to read about all the Queens of England continues. 
  63. The Golem and the Jinni  by Helene Wrecker (Audiobook, narrated by George Guidall)
  64.  The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon (Kindle edition) - I'm going to try and read a contemporary guys! First time in a while! 

No comments:

Post a Comment