Monday 8 October 2018

Recomended Reads: Fall

Hello Friends! And Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! 

So I have clearly been struggling to update as much as I would like - my new job has been just as demanding as I expected and I really haven't been doing as much reading as I like! I hope to get to my monthly book updates written soon, but alas I have no idea when. 

However; a few weeks ago it officially became FALL! One of my favourite seasons (probably after winter) and the time of year that has my absolute favourite clothing - sweaters, and tights and scarves and boots! I absolutely adore fall, and I think it is one of the best seasons to curl up with a book and some cider and just read. 

Generally in fall I tend to read spooky paranormal books (in honour of Halloween), books about witches and witchcraft, historical fiction (though that is usually later in November), and mystery books. 

Since I read so much historical fiction during the fall and winter, I'll probably do a separate post like last year suggesting some of my favourites (see last years post HERE) historical reads, but also include a few in this list as well. 

Classics

Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery
One of my favourite spring and summer reads as well. Anne of Green Gables is an all-year seasonal read because L.M. Montgomery goes into such detail about the beauties of the Canadian seasons. And it has the memorable quote by Anne "I'm so glad we live in a world where there are Octobers," which seems like the perfect quip for fall. The first book is my favourite, but it is a lovely heartwarming series to binge read in the fall!

The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
A classic gothic tale following the depths of debauchery a young and beautiful man goes when he is gifted a magical painting that absorbs all the ugliness of his sins. It is a fantastic tale, but with the fantasy blended in so well with the Victorian backdrop it is set it. It is as outlandish a story as its author was known to be, and has some really creepy moments. I wouldn't classify it as full horror, but if you are looking for a spooky Halloween read, that isn't too scary, but has some horror-based undertones I highly recommend. Also if you are a fan of the TV series Penny Dreadful I highly recommend reading this book to see how Dorian Gray is truly meant to be (I'm always annoyed with tv/movie depictions of him). 

Childrens/YA
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
I've been devouring most of Neil Gaiman's written works this year and I absolutely adored this story about Coraline's adventures when she moves with her family into a dream-land with her "Other Mother". It is fantastically creepy for a children story, and I highly recommend the audiobook - narrated by Neil Gaiman himself. I loved the animated movie of this story, but loved the book even more (the book is always better) and found it twice as creepy. The Other Mother is one of the best childhood story villains I've read in a while and she is deliciously scary. A great book for all ages just before Halloween. 

Jackaby by William Ritter 
Jackaby follows the tale of Abigail Rook, who comes into the employ of the mysterious and possibly insane R.F. Jacakby shortly after her arrival in the small New England town of New Fiddleham in 1892. Shortly into her employ, Abigail discovers that Jackaby's strange behaviour is because he can see the magical creatures in the world others cannot - and introduces Abigail to a world filled with bloodthirsty fairies, werewolves and other creatures that go bump in the night. I really enjoyed the first book in this series (the rest was just okay) because it was a delightful mystery read with murderous creatures around every bend, and a delightful very Dr. Who-esque male lead. I also love that Abigail and Jacakby are not romantically involved AT ALL, and there is in fact only a very little light romance with side characters. It's a wonderfully refreshing tale I think, and very different from most YA these days (which is predominately romance-heavy I find).

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend 
Nevermoor is probably going to be one of my favourite reads of 2018. It was absolutely magical. I listened to the audiobook and read it on my kindle (I recommend both) and loved it in each format). It has been described numerous times as a book for Harry Potter lovers, and I actually agree with that assessment. Morrigan Crow is the unluckiest girl, born on Eventide she is blamed for the the bad things that happen in her town. For-told to die on her 11th birthday (makes you think of Harry Potter right?), Morrigan is instead whisked away by an engimatic saviour, Jupiter North, to compete in a series of trials in order to become a member of the Wunderous Society. It is a magical, enchanting and thrilling story about a young girls discovering magic, making friends and being thrust into a delightful world. It is very similar to Harry Potter, without ripping it off I think, and I think the fact that the next book in this middle-grade series is being released right around Halloween is a good indicator that it's an excellent fall read. 


Adult
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 
The circus arrives without warning. So begins this story about a magic competition between two star-crossed lovers and their teachers within the confines of a magical travelling circus. It is probably one of the most beloved standalone out there, and deserves every single ounce of praise it receives. It is whimsical and the writing is lush and descriptive. it also has a heart breaking love story that will keep you turning page after page. But the real star of this book is the setting - the magical black and white circus which is so real that it comes off the page with each description of the sights and smells. You will wish that a magical travelling circus appeared in your town each year when you are done. 

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss
The best way to describe this book is The League of Extraordinary Gentleman but with all the female characters from Gothic literature. It is exactly that and it is exactly as amazing as it sounds. I recommend reading this in physical format as the audiobook is a bit confusing with the way the book is written, and also because the cover is GORGEOUS (and partially why I bought it). The story starts with Mary Jekyll trying to track down her father's former associate Mr. Hyde and instead discovering his daughter Diana Hyde, and eventually meeting a whole cast of characters including Beatrice Rappaccini, Catherine Moreau and Justine Frankenstein, not to mention Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. These are fun mystery books revolving around all the famous females of gothic literature and I highly recommend it to those who love re-tellings and gothic tales. They are light hearted and good fun, and the next book in the series features Van Helsing's daughter so like.. it's just going to get better. 

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka. J.K. Rowling)
I actually really enjoy Rowling's outing into adult mystery - and I'm not just saying that as a Harry Potter fan. This book follows P.I. Cormoran Strike and his new assistant Robin as they look into the murder of a famous model. The first book was really good, and drew me in and the rest of the series just get better. It is an engaging, and the characters are as unique and well drawn as ever, all written with Rowling's distinct style. I adore the second book in the series, The Silkworm, even more, but you have to start from the beginning with this one! It's a great series to binge read this fall (and who doesn't love a little murder in the fall) and the fourth book, Lethal White, just hit shelves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment