Thursday 8 March 2018

Badass Lady Heroines

Today is International Women's Day and in honour of this wonderful day to celebrate women and their achievements, and to discuss women and their role in society I thought I would highlight some of my favourite female characters. For me, a badass heroine doesn't necessarily mean someone who is physically badass - it is a woman who is her own person, who breaks barriers and boundaries, who fights for her beliefs. There are so many different types of women and types of female characters in novels that I want to highlight all the badass ladies I can! So here are just a few of the female book heroines I love and admire. 

Jim Kay's Illustration of McGonagall
1. Minerva McGonagall from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I mean I could pretty much put any female Harry Potter character here - I love both Hermione Granger and Luna Lovegood to bits and think they are amazing role models for young girls and women as they embrace themselves and never act different to fit in. But I wanted to highlight another female character in the Harry Potter series and that is Minerva McGonagall. McGonagall initially comes off as a rather strict school marm persona - but you soon learn that underneath she is a kind and courageous woman with a heart of gold. McGonnagall has such a tragic back story (go read it on Pottermore if you haven't had a chance) and is an example of a strong woman who rose above her tragedy, who is both powerful and smart and unashamed of this. So few stories feature strong older women, and McGonnagall's portrayal has stayed with me. She is exactly the kind of woman I want to be when I get older.  I love the fact that she is unapologetic about her beliefs and her loyalties, that she is strict but fair, and that it is never in doubt or hidden how absolutely brilliant she is (hello, she's one of nine registered animagus - she is brilliant!). Professor McGonnagall is much admired by Hermione, and so you know she's a badass when another paragon of female awesomeness looks up to her. 

Keria Knightley as Lizzie Bennet in the 2005 adaptation
2. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
So as everyone should probably know by now my favourite book of all time is Pride & Prejudice. I know some people dislike the romance heavy marriage-focused style of Austen's books, but I find that her female characters are still strong and engaging. Elizabeth Bennett in particular stands out as a heroine unafraid to speak her mind, even to men, and to stand up both for herself and her sisters. She is loyal (look how she is with Jane), and intelligent with a quick wit and a sharp tongue. And she absolutely loves to read (something I related to so much when I first read the novel and it really stuck with me). Furthermore, Elizabeth has flaws - she easily judges others (prejudice) and must learn to overcome her quick opinions in order to grow as a person. Every person has flaws and to see this protrayed as a point of growth in a novel is refreshing in a world where so many female heorines are simply empty foils for readers to place themselves into. 

3. Fire from Fire by Kristin Cashore
Fire is proof that you don't have to be an assassin to be a badass. Fire is a monster, a beautiful creature with the ability to control and influence the minds of others. However; despite this immense power, Fire uses her gift rarely and only for the greater good. While I've heard some say Fire is meek compared to Katsa from Graceling, I think Fire is simply another way of being a strong female character. She is physically strong (and good with a bow and arrow) but what is emphasised more is her compassion and kindness and her strength. Fire doesn't overpower people unless necessary and instead tries to understand others and help them. She is an excellent example of someone who is diplomatic and chooses words over swords - and for that I think she is an excellent heroine, one that is very different from the usual fantasy heroines we read about. And if that isn't enough, she's also a badass woman of colour (don't let the book cover mislead you - it's mentioned specifcally in the novel) and that is still so rare in high fantasy. 

Megan Fellows (Canadian Queen) as Anne Shirley in the 1985 TV series 
4. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
I fell in love with the Anne Shirley character when I was 8 yrs old and went to PEI for the first time and saw the Anne of Green Gables musical. She just seemed so amazing and fearless - and I related to her so hard when she smashed her slate over Gilbert's head after he teased her (I had wanted to do that to so many boys). While I wasn't always a huge fan of the Anne novels (I am now thankfully), I always was fascinated and drawn in by Anne the character - as were many people in the world. Anne is a force of nature - she is passionate and intelligent, with a temper as red as her hair. I love her faults and her tantrums, and how through the novels we see her grow and mature from this. I loved that she was top of her class with Gilbert and that she NEVER dumbed herself down (which I can't thank Lucy Maud Montgomery enough for - a celebration of smart women in the early 1900s is no joke). Anne is a character so many children can relate to, and her journey through the Anne novels is a delight to witness. 

5. Kestrel from The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkowski
Kestrel is one of my favourite female heroines in YA. She is such a complex character - someone who is smart, cunning and fearless. She uses her brain to outwit her opponents, and through The Winners Trilogy is the brain behind so many operations. Even her own father is aware of her intelligence and wishes to use it for military advantage. Kestrel is also a character with faults - she is addicted to winning at all costs and commits some pretty atrocious acts throughout the novels. She is certainly flawed, and in the second book is almost an anti-hero in a way. And yet her struggles are relatable, and she never changes her core self, even after the heart breaking last novel she remains true to who she is as a person. It takes a lot to stand up for your beliefs, particularly against your country when you think they are wrong - but Kestrel does it with strength poise and cunning.

Fan Art of BFFs Inej and Nina **
6. Inej Ghafa and Nina Zenik from the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo
Inej and Nina are AMAZING. They are absolutely wonderful female characters who are both separate and distinct in their personalities and yet portray such amazing role models. Inej is such a strong character - who is clearly suffering from trauma over sexual abuse - and is also a skilled thief. She is strong, yet surprisingly vulnerable and she inspires even the darkest of souls (Kaz Brekker) to care for her with her pure heart and core of steel. And then we have Nina, my sweet waffle Nina, who I love more than any other character in Six of Crows. Nina is the kind of person who can make any situation light hearted - she is funny and intense and flirtatious and throws off all the men around her. And on top of that she can stop your heart with a flick of her fingers. I love that Nina embraces her appearance and uses it to her advantage - and isn't shamed for doing so. And the thing I love both about these women is how much they love each other, and what good friends they are to each other. I hope in future novels we see an Inej and Nina reunion because they are BFF goals. 
** ALSO - if anyone knows the artist for this fanart PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I would love to credit them properly, as I just had it pinned from a tumblr page that had no mention of the artist

Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre in the 2011 adaptation
7. Jane Eyre from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Finally, we have another classic heroine from English literature - Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre is a feminist icon pretty much. Her story is filled with tragedy and yet Jane is unwavering in who she is and what she is about. Jane is aware of her strengths and weaknesses, and embraces every aspect of herself. She does not compromise herself for a man (Mr. Rochester is the worst I'm sorry), nor does she fall swooning into his arms. When the twist of the novel comes, Jane remains strong and does what she needs to for herself - without the help of any of the men in her life. And at the end of the novel, Jane does as she chooses and as she wishes (even though some readers like myself, may hate the choice) and you have to respect her for that. Jane is an individual who knows her self and her worth and never accepts anything less than that. And what could be more badass than that amount of confidence? 

So those are 8 badass ladies from books that I admire and look up to! This list should have been harder to make because there are so many awesome female characters out there, but surprisingly these were the ones which first popped into my head and which stuck there while I was writing this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment