Thursday 1 February 2018

Faebruary Readathon!

So today is February 1st and usually February is the month in which I read all of the romance novels ever, but honestly I've been feeling a book slump coming on and I haven't been able to get into any novels I've picked up. Fortunately for me, on this lovely first day of February I discovered the new readathon called FAEBRUARY! And as soon as I saw the name I was like - YES I'm 100% IN.

So Faebruary is a readathon hosted by Sarah-Jane of The Book Life  - you can see the video announcement of the readathon here or read her blog which outlines Faebruary here.  The point of Faebruary is to read books with the Fae in them for the month of February. I absolutely LOVE faerie books and faeries so I got super excited about this idea (plus I love the pun-tastic name). 

Sarah-Jane has outlined some challenges, that can be casually followed if you wish, but really if you just want to read fae books that is alright as well! The challenges are pretty simple, and you get a point each time you complete one (so if you read multiple books with fae you get a point each time, or if you re-read a fae book) and your points at the end will determine the type of faerie you are. The challenges are: 


1 - Read a book with Fae (the only essential challenge!)

2 - Re-read a fae book you've read before
3 - Buddy read a fae book
4 - Complete the first book in a fae trilogy or series
5 - Join the Goodreads group - https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/453492-faebruary
6 - Post a photo, (or video, if you are a Booktuber!) on any social media platform such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or YouTube using #faebruary 
7 - Read for 30 minutes a day
8 - Read a fae book by an author you've never read before 
9 - Post a review, either on Goodreads, Amazon, Youtube, a Blog. Reviews help authors!

Faebruary TBR
These are just some of the books I hope to read in Faebruary! Obviously I may get through more, depending on my mood!

1. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black - I just picked this up a like two days ago so now I have an excuse to read it (not that I needed one) 

2. A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Mass - I need to finish this series! I loved the first two, but I've heard mixed reviews about the third, and I have a love/hate relationship with Maas books but I'm at least hoping to enjoy the inevitable Feysand moments 

3. Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan - I've been meaning to read this series for years, and now I have no excuse not to pick it up! This is a series which focuses on fey in the court of Elizabeth I - and given that historical fiction and fantasy are my two favourite genres this sounds perfect!

4. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare - I've been in the mood to re-read this series (especially since I bought the 10th Anniversary Edition of City of Bones) and with the presence of the fey this should be a great marathon of a series to do for the month!

Faebruary Suggestions
As I said above I absolutely love fey books and have since like 13. I have been fey trash for over a decade and therefore I have quite a few suggestions for some awesome fey books to read, for those who maybe don't have as many ideas! 

1. Wicked Lovely Series by Melissa Marr - five faerie books of delicious dark fey goodness, politics, and romance. Plus my first ever book crush - Seth!

2. The Falconer Trilogy by Elizabeth May - one of the most underrated YA series with one of the best fey couples I have ever read about! The series gets better with each book!

3. Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning - fey trash in the absolute best way, I highly recommend the first five. 

4. The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa - one of the best known YA fey series I think, and definitely a great one for beginners

5.  Wondrous Strange Trilogy by Lesley Livingston - this was Lesley Livingston's first series written way back in 2009. I haven't re-read it in years but I really loved the blend of modern day fantasy with Shakespearean faeries. My inner Shakespeare nerd was very happy. 

6. The Shadow Reader Trilogy by Sandy Williams - one of my favourite paranormal-uf series ever, absolutely addictive and I marathoned the trilogy in one day. 

7. Shadowfell Trilogy by Juliet Marillier - Juliet Marillier is one of my favourite authors, and this series is a unique take on fey-legend. It is very romance-light and is a character-driven story about a girl coming to term with her ability to see the fey and control them in a fantasy world where such powers are forbidden. 

8. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black - for anyone who has read The Cruel Prince by Holly Black, they need to read this book because it is what got me into Holly BLack's writing and fey-world. It is a captivating story, beautifully written. 

9. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare - do plays count? I hope so. Because this is a classic faerie play. It has inspired so many stories (including one or two on this list)! Plus I am Shakespeare trash and will try to get everyone to read him until the end of time. 


Happy Faebruary! I can't wait to dive into some, hopefully, new favourite fey books!





No comments:

Post a Comment