Saturday 6 January 2018

December 2017 Wrap-Up

I was in a bit of a reading slump in December, and really struggled to finish books. With studying for Canadian law exams I really didn't feel like reading most days after a day of studying.  I found audiobooks much easier to do this month than actual books and that is probably why I finished 4 audiobooks this month, and started numerous others. I'm hoping the slump abates come February when I'm done my qualifying exams but I'm not expecting January to be a spectacular reading month either! 

Books I Read 
No. of Books Read: 8

1. Hunted by Megan Spooner - 3/5 Stars
This is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and follows the story of Yeva - the youngest of three daughters of a famous hunter in a Russian village. Yeva goes on a quest to find their father, after he goes missing in the woods one day while hunting to regain the family fortune. On this quest she meets a terrible Beast and... well you know how Beauty and the Beast goes. I read a lot of rave reviews for this story so I went in with really high expectations, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. Don't get me wrong - this is a fine retelling, it had excellent writing and I found the relationships between Yeva and her sisters to be very realistic and loving, but with a touch of resentment and feuding that is normal in any family. However; I found the plot to be slow, the "retelling" aspect to be nothing special and I absolutely hated the romance. I didn't connect to Yeva or the Beast's relationship - and I didn't buy her gradual love for him, it seemed to be tangled up with deep hatred. I also found the magic and mythology in the story to be rather confusingly written, with the ending sort of happening because... love? If you love Beauty and the Beast and want a good winter read this may be for you, however I just didn't think it was anything special.

2. Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan - 1/5 Stars
This was just a poorly written romance novel. I sometimes like a good romance book, but I still think they need to be well written and thought out. This novel had a vague "fantasy" war setting - with groups of very undefined groups, one "civilised" and the other group "barbarians." A princess from one of these kingdoms spends her time healing injured soldiers from both sides of the war, and in doing so intrigues the leader of the barbarians - he demands her as a "warprize" in return for peace. Overall, this just had nothing new or original to offer. The story I basically guessed the entire time, and the "barbarian" Warrior Prince was so obviously the good mushy guy from the beginning. It just didn't feel like the tensions or the problems to the love story were really real. Read this just on a whim after I bought it on Kindle, but I'm definitely glad I didn't spend a lot of money because it was not good.
3. Astrophysics for People in a Hury by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Audiobook, narrated by Neil DeGrasse Tyson) - 3.5/5 Stars
The best part of this audiobook is Neil DeGrasse Tyson's voice - it is so soothing and wonderful to listen to. I would love for him to narrate more books because I would buy them all up. It was fun  to learn a bit more about astrophysics and about all the wonders of the cosmos, especially in a short couple of hours. However; the reason this book isn't 4 or 5 stars is because I did find some of the topics difficult to comprehend at times. This book advertises itself as a beginners book, but at some points it really wasn't and I found some of the scientific concepts he discussed so complex I had to re-listen to them. And of course, some points dragged for me because I am a science person overall. If you do love science though I highly recommend this book on audiobook because Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a gem. 

4. My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadowes and Brodi Ashton (Audiobook, Narrated by Katherine Kellegren) - 4/5 Stars
This was a re-read for me, and the first time I listened to it on audiobook. This novel states itself as the real story of what happened to Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days Queen, and is a fun combination of history and fantasy. I really loved Katherine Kellegren's narration of this book - it really made the story come alive, and her voices are possibly the best I've ever heard. Honestly, I love this book so much - it is one of my favourite light-hearted funny novels, and reading it never fails to raise my spirits. The only reason this is not five stars is because, once again, I find Edward's perspective chapters so much less interesting than the chapters narrated from Jane or Gifford's perspectives. Edward just comes off as a sexist and petulant child (which I guess, in reality, he was).Oh, and while this is audiobook specific I hated the voice of Lord Dudley in this audiobook -  it was SO CRINGE-Y. But other than that, this book is just as charming and fun and refreshing as it was the first time I read it! Still absolutely adore this story and I can't wait for the next Lady Janies novel to come out in 2018
5. Elizabeth of York by Alison Weir - 3.5/5 Stars
This is a biography of Elizabeth of York, Queen of England and wife of Henry VII - she is probably more famously known for being the mother to the infamous Henry VIII. I started reading this book ages ago after binge watching The White Princess of Starz - I had to know the real story of Elizabeth and Henry. This book is very detailed and factual - almost too much so. Weir provides a lot of minute details to make up for a lack of lots of detailed facts of Elizabeth - and I have to admit reading about Elizabeth of York's finances and spending habits could be a bit of a bore at times. Like with any historical biography, it takes me a long time to read as I have to be in the mood - sometimes I tore through hundreds of pages and sometimes I couldn't finish more than 10. Generally, I prefer biographies that are more narrative in style - such as the way Antonia Fraser or Robert K. Massie write. However; this was a fine biographical book for individuals looking to learn more about a little known Queen. 


6. Corsets and Codpieces by Karen Bowman - 3/5 Stars
This book was a history of fashion in England from medieval times to the 1920s. It was a fine read, the highlighted some interesting tidbits about some of the crazier fashions over the years. One thing seems to be consistent - men never seem to understand women's fashion in any generation. It was a fine read, nothing particularly outstanding. 

7. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Audibook, Narrated by Tim Curry) - 4/5 Stars
I re-read the tale of Scrooge every year before Christmas - it is my classic holiday read. This year I decided to give the story a try on audiobook, and chose the version narrated by Tim Curry. It was, as always, an absolutely magical story that would warm the coldest of hearts as we learn - with Scrooge - the true meaning of Christmas spirit. Tim Curry did a fine job narrating, however I would've liked some more voice differentiation for certain characters because sometimes it wasn't clear who was talking.  

8. Jackaby by William Ritter (Audiobook, Narrated by Nicola Barber) - 3.5/5
This was yet another audiobook I finished this month and I was shocked and delighted to find I really enjoyed this story. The book follows the adventures of Abigail Rook, after she lands in a small New England town fresh from Europe and looking for adventure. In her first day she manages to get drawn into the world of the infamous R.F. Jackaby, a man who can see what normal people can't - and discovers a new paranormal world she had been missing. This book was a fun read - it was pretty addictive as I was reading it, and fairly quick to get through. It was just what I needed to finish off the year! I really liked Abigail, our narrator - she is smart, capable, and has a good head on her shoulders. I liked how realistic and smart she was - she was no Mary-Sue. I also loved the lack of romance in this novel (hinted at but never acted on) and especially the fact that there is absolutely no romance between Abigail and Jackaby - they are simply work colleagues or in a mentorship type relationship and it was so refreshing to read that because such relationships are rarely portrayed it seems. Some of the plot twists (like Charlie Cane) I saw coming from a mile away, and I guessed the villain fairly early on. However; this was a fun read, with a likable heroine and a fun supernatural twist. I am looking forward to trying the next few books on audiobook as well.

Books I Bought:
No of books I Bought: 68
Christmas + Audible Deals = HUGE HAUL

1. Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (Paperback) - I finally bought the whole trilogy and I can now just marathon the rest of this series in 2018! YES!
2. The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness (Paperback)
3. The Golem and the Jini by Helene Wecker (Paperback)
4. The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch (Kindle Edition) - I own this in paperback - but Kindle had a sale on this series so I bought the WHOLE SERIES, because I have a problem.
5. The Dark Monk by Oliver Potzsch(Kindle Edition) - Book #2 In The Hangman's Daughter series
6. The Poisoned Pilgrim by Oliver Potzsch (Kindle Edition) - Book #4 In The Hangman's Daughter series, I already owned Book #3 on Kindle 
7. The Werewolf of Bamberg by Oliver Potzsch (Kindle Edition) - Book #5 In The Hangman's Daughter series
8. The Play of Death by Oliver Potzsch(Kindle Edition) - Book #6 In The Hangman's Daughter series
9. No Man's Bride by Shana Galen (Kindle Edition)
10. A Dangerous Love by Sabrina Jefferies (Kindle Edition)
11. Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan - and I already read it and it was terrible
12. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (Audiobook, Narrated by Tom Mison) - I read this years ago for an American literature class, but  when I saw the Audiobook was narrated by Tom Mison (aka Ichabod Crane on Sleepy Hollow the TV Show) I had to buy it to listen.
13. Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Audiobook narrated by Neil DeGrasse Tyson) - I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson and I could listen to him narrate pretty much everything
14. Jackaby by William Ritter (Audiobook, narrated by Nicola Barber)
15. Enchancted by Althea Kontis (Audibobook, Narrated by Katherine Kellegren) - I already own the Kindle Edition already, but I loved Katherine Kellegren's narration of My Lady Jane that I decided to try a few others that she narrated
16. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (Audiobook, narrated by Morven Christie and Lucy Gaskell)  - I shall hopefully like this audiobook as much as I ejoyed The Pearl Thief!
17. Vow of Deception by CJ Archer (Kindle Edition) - Book #9 in The Last Necromancer Series, always a fun quick read by an indie author
18. Uprooted by Naomi Novik (Kindle Edition) - I already own this in paperback, but I find that it is good to have a kindle edition (in case I ever move and cant bring all my books), and because I'm  unsure if I wanted to keep the paperback copy I own (its not the prettiest)
19. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Kindle Edition) - I read this before for school and loved, but it was a library copy so it's nice to have it in case I decided to reread
20. Midnight Never Comes by Marie Brennan (Kindle Edition)
21. Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot (Kindle Edition) - already own in paperback, but on sale for kindle and I love this book from my teenage years so I had to have it 
22. Vengeance Born by Kyle Griffin (kindle Edition) -  I own this in paperback and have read it already, but may unhaul the paperbacks to make room, so good to have on the kindle in case!
23. Most Eagerly Yours by Allison Chase (Kindle Edition)
24. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (Audiobook, Narrated by Tim Curry)
25. The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Audiobook, Narrated by Tim Curry)
26. The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman (Audiobook, Narrated by Fiona Hardginham)
27. The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman (Audiobook, Narrated by Fiona Hardingham)
28. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by JK Rowling (Audiobook, narrated by Eddie Redmayne) - purchased solely because I love Eddie Redmayne
29. Everland by Wendy  Spinelli (Audiobook, Narrated by Fiona Hardingham, Steve West)
30. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Audiobook, Narrated by Dan Stevens) - I decided to try more Agatha Christie, and I loved Dan Stevens voice so this seems a good choice.
31. Peter Pan by JM Barrie (Audiobook, Narrated by Jim Dale) - excited to try out this classic childrens novel! I've never read it before!
32. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wild (Audiobook, Narrated by Russel Tovey) - one of my favourite classics, I absolutely can't wait to hear how Russel Tovey does the audiobook. 
33. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (Audiobook, Narrated by Julet Stevenson)
34. The Secret Countess by Eva Ibbotson (Audiobook, Narrated by Davina Porter) - I aboslutely adore this book, which I own in paperback and have read and re-read many times I am excited to try it in a new format.
35. Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein (Audiobook, Narrated by  Sascha Pick)
36. Monarchy by David Starkey (Audiobook, Narrated by David Starkey) - David Starkey is my favourite. I had to get this and listen to him. 
37. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (Kindle Edition)
38. Three Sister, Three Queens by Phillipa Gregory (Kindle Edition)
39. Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare (Kindle Edition) - Just making sure my Kindle library is as good as my real one. 
40. You Learn By Living: Elven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life by Eleanor Roosevelt (Kindle Edition) - Eleanor Roosevelt is one of my favourite women in history, and I am so excited to just read all the amazing quotes I know this book will churn out. I used to get a Eleanor Roosevelt quote a day to inspire me while I was studying for the LSAT. 
41. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Kindle Edition)
42. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling (Audiobook, Narrated by Jim Dale) - I am so excited to try Harry Potter in yet another new format! I'm always ready for more Harry Potter and I've heard nothing but good things about the Jim Dale audiobooks.
43. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (Audiobook, Narrated by Ralph Cosham
44. In the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (paperback and audiobook)
45. Spindle by E.K. Johnston (Hardcover) - Christmas Presents of books are wonderful
46. Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine (Hardcover)  - more Christmas gifts
47. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Septys (Hardcover) - more Christmas gifts
48. Harry Potter - History of Magic by J.K. Rowling  (Hardcover) - THE BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT
49. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (Audiobook) - I've read this and loved it, and I've heard only good things about the audiobook so thought I would try it.
50. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (Audiobook)
51. Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen (Audiobook, Narrated by Katherine Kellegren) - I loved Katherine Kellegren's narrative voice enough in My Lady Jane to try out some new series she narrates when they were on sale
52. A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (Audiobook, narrated by Kate Reading)
53. Wizards First Rule: Sword of Truth Book 1 by Terry Goodkind (Audiobook, narrated by Sam Tsoutsouvas)
54. The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neil (Kindle Edition) - all I needed to know was that this book is like The Night Circus but is set in Montreal, and I immediately bought it. 
55. The Black Witch by Laurie Forest (Kindle Edition) - I've heard so many negative reactions to this book that I apparently want to torture myself and read it 
56. The Pearl Thief by Elizabeth Wein (kindle edition) - Yes I know I have it on Audiobook but I also like having the actual book to re-read in case I don't want to re-listen
57. The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman (Kindle Edition)
58. Alanna by Tamora Pierce (Kindle Edition)
59. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz (kindle Edition)
60. The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison (Kindle Edition)
61. Fearless by Jennifer Jenkins (Kindle Edition)
62. A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage (Kindle Edition)
63. The Bone Season by Samatha Shannon(Kindle Edition)
64. Wintersong by S. Jae Jones (kindle edition)
65. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood (Kindle Edition)
66. Traitor's Blade by Sebastian De Castiel (Kindle Edition)
67. Truthwitch by Susan Denard (kindle edition)
68. The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells (Audiobook, Narrated by Simon Prebble)


No comments:

Post a Comment